Your surgeon may recommend a few specific post-operative-- instructions following spinal surgery. You should follow the instructions of the surgeon to aid in faster recovery with optimum results. The duration of hospitalisation depends on the treatment rendered. The period of your rest or inactivity depends on a few factors such as the type of surgical procedure and the approach used to access your spine, the sise of the incision and presence of any complications. Return to work or normal activity depends on the type of work or activity you plan to perform.
The instructions that you should follow after your surgery are as follows:
- Take medications as recommended by your doctor
- Keep your incision area clean and dry to promote wound healing
- Avoid smoking, driving, lifting heavy things, swimming or using a hot tub
- Follow the specific restriction of activity, as advised
- Start physical therapy as instructed by your doctor
- Schedule your follow up appointment with your doctor as advised.
Please consult your doctor immediately if you experience fever over 101° F or if the incision site shows signs of infection such as pain, redness, swelling, or increased drainage from the incision.